The past few years have seen the rise of the destination race in a big way, whether it’s to places like Hawaii for the Kauai Marathon & Half Marathon or to South Africa for the Big Five Marathon & Half Marathon, which takes runners through the wilds of the African savannah.
Closer to home, one of the most popular racing trends has been the many marathon and half marathon races that run through the California and Oregon wine country. Many of these sell out quickly each year, which is no surprise of course given the scenery you get to run through mile after mile.
- Sat, March 24: Napa Valley Trail Marathon, Half Marathon & 10K in Calistoga, Calif.
- Sun, March 25: Wine Country Runs Half Marathon & 5K in Paso Robles, Calif.
- Sun, April 22: Napa Valley Silverado Half Marathon & 5K in Calistoga, Calif.
- Sat, May 12: Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon in Santa Ynez, Calif.
- Sun, May 20: Windsor Green Half Marathon, 10K & 5K in Windsor, Calif.
- Sat, June 2: Virginia Wine Country Half Marathon in Purcellville, Va.
- Sun, July 15: Napa-to-Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon & 5K in Napa, Calif.
- Sun, July 15: Fueled by Fine Wine Half Marathon in Dundee, Oregon.
- Sat, Aug. 4: Salinas Valley Half Marathon in Soledad, Calif.
- Sun, Aug. 12: Water to Wine Half Marathon & Alderbrook 3-Mile Fun Run in Healdsburg, Calif.
- Sun, Aug. 26: The Santa Rosa Marathon & Half Marathon in Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Sun, Sept. 2: Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon & Relay in Dayton, Oregon.
- Sun, Oct. 14: California Wine Country Marathon & Healdsburg Half Marathon in Healdsburg, Calif.
- Sat, Oct. 27: Healdsburg Wine Country Half Marathon in Healdsburg, Calif.
- Sun, Nov. 4: Temecula Half Marathon & 5K in Temecula, Calif.